Desire2Learn (www.desire2learn.com) is a formal learning management system (software designed to deliver, support and manage courses) used by schools, colleges, universities and businesses. Desire2Learn provides a web-based suite of tools including tools for developing online courses, and tools for online delivery and course management. This innovative learning management system can be tailored to meet the needs of individual clients. Desire2Learn is a Canadian company with its headquarters in Kitchener, Ontario.
Desire2Learn has a full suite of learning management features to support effective learning and teaching. These features include:
- A user-friendly interface and an effective and easy to navigate layout
- Ability to develop effective content by uploading MS Word files and PowerPoint presentations and embedding URLs, audio, and text
- Group collaboration features that encourage peer-to-peer learning
- LiveRoom where students can collaborate using chat, whiteboard and presentation software
- Tools for tracking student progress such as assignment drop boxes and grading
- A wide variety of assessment tools including quizzes, surveys and other evaluation tools
- The ability for the host institution to easily and effectively generate solid data on student learning and statistics
- Ability to reuse course content for subsequent courses
Desire2Learn offers a variety of products including:
- Learning Environment
- Learning Repository
For an overview of the various products offered by Desire2Learn you can click here: www.desire2learn.com/products/.
Desire2Learn has a demonstration library where it shares information on the key benefits of its learning environment and case studies of students and teachers who use its product: www.desire2learn.com/demos/. Another great way to learn more about Desire2Learn is to take one of its webinars (web-based, online learning sessions) at: www.desire2learn.com/webinars/.
Desire2Learn's main website at www.desire2learn.com/ can lead you to a whole host of information, tools and resources.
Technology in Action
The New Brunswick Department of Education's Francophone Sector uses Desire2Learn, in combination with other learning platforms, to deliver quality online education to high school students in the province. They currently offer more than 20 courses online for students in grade 11 and 13 and several specialized courses for grade 9 students in remedial French and math. Offering courses online has increased the range of courses that can be offered to students throughout the province, particularly in rural areas. This website provides more information on this initiative: http://clic.nbed.nb.ca. (Source: Website of the New Brunswick Department of Education)
The College of the North Atlantic (Newfoundland and Labrador) offers 250 online college credit courses to students in their province and beyond. CNA uses Desire2Learn and other platforms. You can learn more about this highly successful opportunity at http://dls.cna.nl.ca/szone/online_programs.asp. (Source: Website of the College of the North Atlantic)
The Centre for Distance Learning and Innovation offers online learning opportunities to high school students, adult learners and teachers throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Desire2Learn is one of the learning platforms used by the Centre in its highly successful program. Please see: www.cdli.ca/ for more information. (Source: Website of the Centre for Distance Learning and Innovation)